Eligibility of Applicants
- Each applicant must be between the ages of 25 and 44 at the time of application
- Applicants between ages 44 – 50 may be accepted to apply if they are specifically interested in adoption of an older child
- Single applicants are accepted but currently the agency is at capacity until further notice
- Married applicants must be married for a minimum of two (2) years
- Applicants may have no more than 2 biological children
- No history of cancer or mental health disability or history of major depression
- At least one person of a couple must be a Canadian citizen
- Body Mass Index (BMI) of under 32
- No record of criminal conviction
Children in the program
The majority of children who are referred for international adoption are done so due to economic distress. Children placed for adoption range in age between approximately 18 months – 3 years at time of placement. Children are cared for in licensed baby homes, foster homes or orphanages.
Wait times to adopt
From the time the agency receives your homestudy and provincial approval, it takes approximately 24 – 30 months to complete the adoption in South Africa.
Travel: Families are required to make only one trip to South Africa (to meet, receive their child and attend court date) and will be required to spend approximately six (6) weeks in the country at that time. It is about a 15 hour flight trip to South Africa. Several accommodation choices are available for selection during your stay.
Costs: Program costs do not include travel and accommodation overseas. If you meet the above eligibility please contact the agency for a copy of our South Africa Program Package.